After you create a database from scratch or from a template, you need to modify it by giving each field a descriptive name, defining the size of each field, or adding and deleting a field.
Naming a field
If you create a database from scratch, Access displays generic field names such as Fieldl. If you create a database from a template, you'll see the descriptive field names, but you may still want to rename the fields to something else.
To rename a field, follow these steps:
1. Click the Office Button and then choose Open.
The Open dialog box appears.
2. Click the Access database file you want to modify and then click Open.
Access displays your chosen database.
3. In the All Tables pane on the left of the screen, double-click the table that contains the fields you want to rename.
Access displays the Datasheet view of your database.
4. Click the Datasheet tab.
5. Click the field (column head) that you want to rename.
6. Click the Rename icon in the Fields & Columns group.
Access highlights the field name.
7. Type a new name for your field and then click outside the field name when you're done.