en uk

Tax rebate for uniform wearers



If you wash or repair your work uniform, you may be able to reclaim tax.

Whether it's a full nurse's or police attire, or just a simple T-shirt, provided you DON'T ever wear it for owt else, if you wash and maintain the clothes, you may be due an extra tax-free allowance each year and can backdate the claim for up to four years.

How much? Many MoneySavers have reported no-quibble cheques posted after they contacted HM Revenue & Customs. Forumite aliasojo said: "Other half got his letter - £336 adjustment in tax for earlier years and flat rate job expenses applied from now on, and a new tax code to reflect all that"Вќ.

How do I do it? Read the full Uniforms Tax Rebate guide.

Check if you're due a tax rebate-->

If, during the past four years, you've had the wrong tax code, you may be due a tax rebate. HMRC says at least four million employees are due this rebate... BUT over a million may need to pay more.

How much? It all depends on how wrong your banding was, but it can range from tens of pounds to thousands. One forum user has managed to claim over £5,000 because HMRC was deducting for a company car and medical insurance he'd never had.

How do I do it? Read the Tax Code Checker guide and tool to work out if your code is correct, then contact HMRC. However, if you think you've overpaid in the past, just contact HMRC more on how to do this in the guide.

Tax back if you work from home-->

If you are specifically employed to work from home and have no other alternative, you may be able to claim tax back for some of your household costs.

The most common expenses include the cost of gas and electricity for your work space and phone calls for the business.

You can't claim tax back on anything you're already paying for, or costs incurred from both work and private use (eg, council tax, line rental, internet).

How much?

It's either:

  • Flat rate of £4/week since 2012/13 tax year (previously it was £3), for every week you work from home. You can claim extra for business phone calls.

  • Or, if you can show how you've calculated the figures you can claim more.

How do I do it? Read the HMRC information to check you're eligible. If you fill in your own tax return there is a section to claim the tax back there. If not, you can write to HMRC to make your request.

Reclaim phone credit & more-->

If you've switched TV, mobile, broadband or phone providers in the last six years, there's a very real chance you're owed a little cash and can get it back at speed.

Many providers don't automatically refund leftover credit when you cancel your contract or change provider.

How much? This isn't going to make you rich, but may give you a handy little boost. One forumite was amazed when they got £144 back from TalkTalk, but generally amounts have been lower.

How do I do it? Use the Reclaim Phone Credit guide for more info, plus a full list of contact numbers for providers. Read about others' experiences on the forum discussion.

PPI reclaiming-->

If you've got or had a loan, credit or store card with Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) you may be able to reclaim £1,000s and for FREE. Banks lost in court after years of systemically mis-selling PPI. Now they've put over £10 billion aside to paid back money wrongly taken from their customers.

How much? Some success stories have reported getting back over £8,000, including interest, on a £40,000 loan. However, as ever it depends on each individual circumstance and what you were charged.

How do I do it? Don't hand 30% to a no-win no fee claims handler. Read the step-by-step guides to PPI Reclaiming and Credit Card PPI Reclaiming, which include template letters and a full FAQ.

National Insurance-->

Millions of workers weren't credited with nearly £1.3 billion paid in National Insurance (NI). This could mean a reduced state pension if you fail to act.

Tax authorities didn't track nine million employees' payments between 2004 and 2009, which could affect workers of all ages. In total, they're worth around £1.3 billion.

How much? This could affect your state pension, which is £107.45 a week for 2012/13. You must have built up a set number of years' NI contributions to receive the full pension, so make sure you check now.

How do I do it? Read the full Reclaim NI guide for more info, then call HMRC's NI helpline on 0845 302 1479.

Find lost assets-->

Billions languish unused in old bank accounts, pensions, life assurance, Premium Bonds and investments whether forgotten in a house move, lost through a work change, or simply overlooked in the hurly-burly of modern life.

Yet it's usually easy and, in many cases, free to reclaim cash that belongs to you or your family. This means a lost inheritance could also be reclaimed if you think a relative that's passed away had a bank account they'd forgotten about.

How much? This depends on how much you've forgotten you had. It could be anything from just a few pounds in an old junior savings account to thousands in a forgotten pension fund.

Bank charges-->

If you've been hit with bank charges in the past few years and are in financial hardship, you can ask for them back.

How much? It all depends on your circumstances and how the charges have impacted you and caused or worsened your financial situation, but say you incurred charges of £35, four times a year on average that all adds up to a huge £840 payback.

How do I do it? Use the Bank Charges Reclaiming guide. Read about other MoneySavers' experiences on the Success reports forum thread.

Credit card charges-->

In 2006 the OFT said credit card charges were unfairly high - so providers reduced them. If you had late payment fees before 2006, it may not be too late to reclaim 'em.

How much? Again, it all depends entirely on the charges you've had. Some have reclaimed over £1,000.

How do I do it? Read the step-by-step guide to Credit Card Reclaiming, which includes template letters. Read about others' experiences on the Success reports thread.

Council tax-->

The council tax system in England and Scotland is fundamentally flawed; many people are in the wrong band. It only takes 10 minutes to check if you're one of them.

How much? Dropping a band can result in a saving of £200 a year, and a backdated payout from when you moved in is often £1,000s.

How do I do it? Use my step-by-step Council Tax Rebanding guide.

Mortgage exit fees-->

If you've moved mortgage to a new company since the late 1990s, you could have been overcharged by your old lender when you left it. Just one phone call usually gets you the money back.

How much? A refund of the difference between the fee as stated when you took out your loan, and its level when you left. This could be between £50-£200, depending on the lender.

How do I do it? Use the full step-by-step guide to Mortgage Fees.


Site is a private collection of materials and is an amateur informational and educational resource. All information is obtained from public sources. The administration does not apply for authorship of the materials used. All rights belong to their owners.